This opportunity intends to provide technical assistance around conducting community needs assessments to National Network to Eliminate Disparities in Behavioral Health (NNED) members and minority-serving and under-resourced community-based organizations (CBOs).
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of a community needs assessment
- Identify who should be involved in a community needs assessment
- Plan and conduct a community needs assessment
- Learn about the impact made by community needs assessment reports
“Elevate CBOs” is an overarching policy-driven initiative at SAMHSA’s Office of Behavioral Health Equity (OBHE) to build capacity, increase the visibility, and highlight the unique role of CBOs serving under-resourced communities in behavioral health.
The event was also shared on Facebook Live at fb.com/nned.net and closed captioning was available through Zoom.
Access the Recording and Materials:
- View the Recording of the Elevate CBOs Webinar: Community Needs Assessments!
- Transcript coming soon!
- Download the slides (PDF)
- Read follow-up responses to the questions asked during the session (PDF)
- Learn more about the speaker, Allison Houston, PhD, MSc, CPH
- Access the Community Toolbox by the Center for Community Health and Development at the University of Kansas
- View examples of community health needs assessments:
- Access data sources:
- Data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- CDC/ATSDR Social Vulnerability Index – this uses 15 US Census variables to help identify communities that may need support before, during, or after disasters.
Previous Elevate CBOs Webinars:
Please contact Perry Chan at the Office of Behavioral Health Equity, Perry.Chan@samhsa.hhs.gov if you have any questions about the Elevate CBOs initiative.