During Asian Pacific American (APA) Heritage Month, the HHS Office of Minority Health (OMH) joins partners in celebrating the achievements and contributions of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. During the observance in May, OMH honors the rich culture of Asians and Pacific Islanders and raises awareness of health disparities.
Populations of focus: Asian and Pacific Islanders, Native Hawaiians
Links to resource:
- View the full resource library from the Office of Minority Health (OMH).
- Read statistics on APA health disparities in Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health of Asian or Pacific Islander Population Statistics
- View OMH programs and partnerships to improve the health of Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders and Native Hawaiians:
- Access other resources and publications regarding AAPI health:
- CDC Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (NHPI) National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)
- Mental Health and Asian Americans
- My Mental Illness Did Not Prevent Me From Succeeding, But the Stigma Nearly Did, by Michelle Yang
- National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association Resource Library
- AAPI Nexus: AAPIs 2040, Volume 14, Issue 1
- Healthy Mind Initiative Addresses Mental Health of AAPI Youth
- Haumea: Transforming the Health of Native Hawaiian Women and Empowering Wāhine Well-Being
- Learn about the history of Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders resources on discrimination
- Trauma and Healing:
- Anti-Asian Racism Is A Mental Health Crisis And It’s Finally Time For Workplaces To Change It from Forbes.
- Be an Ally: How to Help Fight Anti-Asian Racism and Xenophobia from Boston University Today.
- Combating Anti-Asian Sentiment — A Practical Guide for Clinicians from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Guide: Tender, Loving Self-Care for Asian Americans from Psychology Today.
- Resource Libraries:
- Anti-Racism Resources for the AAPI Community from the Asian American Studies Program from Cornell University.
- Asian American Racism & Mental Health Resources from the MGH Center for Cross-Cultural Student Emotional Wellness.
- Asian American & Pacific Islander Mental Health Resources from the Mental Health Coalition.
- Resources to Address Anti-Asian Racism from the Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations.
- Supporting Students, Staff, and Families Impacted by Anti-Asian American and Pacific Islander Racism from the National Center for School Mental Health
- Trauma and Healing:
- COVID-19 resources for Asian Pacific American
Date: 2019, updated 2021