Reports of anti-Asian violence and harassment are once again on the rise—including the horrific murders of six Asian women in a mass shooting in Atlanta.
From March 19, 2020 through February 28, 2021, there were 3,795 incidents of coronavirus-related verbal harassment, shunning, and physical assault on Asian Americans across the U.S. reported to the STOP AAPI (Asian American/Pacific Islander) HATE reporting center. Asians of all ethnicities are being racially profiled, and women are two and a half times as likely to be targeted, the group reports. Asian Americans face coronavirus discrimination in public and at businesses, especially grocery stores, pharmacies, and big box retail stores.
It’s as important today as ever to educate people and the community about these issues, stand up to racism wherever it is seen, and work to build the safe, inclusive communities that everyone deserves.
Population of focus: Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders
Links to resource:
- Starting the Conversation:
- Guide for Parents of Asian/Asian American Adolescents from the MGH Center for Cross-Cultural Student Emotional Wellness.
- How To Start Conversations About Anti-Asian Racism With Your Family Podcast from the National Public Radio.
- Let’s Talk! Supporting Asian and Asian American Students Through COVID-19 Webinar Series from the MGH Institute of Health Professions.
- Talking to Children About Anti-Asian Bias from the New York Times.
- Talking to Teens about Anti-Asian Discrimination in the Era of COVID-19 Webinar from the MGH Center for Cross-Cultural Student Emotional Wellness.
- Trauma and Healing:
- Anti-Asian Racism Is A Mental Health Crisis And It’s Finally Time For Workplaces To Change It from Forbes.
- Be an Ally: How to Help Fight Anti-Asian Racism and Xenophobia from Boston University Today.
- Combating Anti-Asian Sentiment — A Practical Guide for Clinicians from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Guide: Tender, Loving Self-Care for Asian Americans from Psychology Today.
- Resource Libraries:
- Anti-Racism Resources for the AAPI Community from the Asian American Studies Program from Cornell University.
- Asian American Racism & Mental Health Resources from the MGH Center for Cross-Cultural Student Emotional Wellness.
- Asian American & Pacific Islander Mental Health Resources from the Mental Health Coalition.
- Resources to Address Anti-Asian Racism from the Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations.
- Supporting Students, Staff, and Families Impacted by Anti-Asian American and Pacific Islander Racism from the National Center for School Mental Health
- Other Resources and Articles:
- Bystander Intervention Training To Stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment from Hollaback! and the Asian Americans Advancing Justice.
- NNED Virtual Roundtable: Communities Respond to COVID-19: Implications for APIs
- Reports of Anti-Asian Assaults, Harassment and Hate Crimes Rise as Coronavirus Spreads from the Anti-Defamation League.
- Shining a Light on API Mental Health in the Time of COVID-19 Webinar from the Mental Health Technology Transfer Center Network.
- Report incidents at Stop AAPI Hate.