The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration published Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for Senior Centers in Spanish.
This toolkit is a resource for senior center staff and volunteers. As a focus point for the community, senior centers connect older adults with a range of critical services and programs, including meals and nutrition programs, transportation services, health and wellness programs, and social and recreational activities. Therefore, these centers can play an important role in promoting emotional health among older adults and increasing the factors that may protect them from suicide. This toolkit will give you many ideas, examples, tools, and resources for integrating suicide prevention into the work you already do to support the well-being of older adults.
This toolkit includes the following:
- A Getting Started section that provides an overview of suicide among older adults and how senior centers can help address this important problem.
- A section on each of the three key strategies that senior centers can use to promote emotional well-being and prevent suicide among older adults. Each section describes recommended steps for carrying out the strategy and indicates relevant tools and resources.
- Nine tools for carrying out the three strategies.
- Three fact sheets that senior centers can share with older adults and their families as part of an educational session or other event.
Population: Elderly, Latinx
Links to resources:
- Access the Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide toolkit for seniors in Spanish.
- Access the Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide toolkit for seniors in English.
- Learn more about the issue suicide in the elderly population.
- Learn more about Latinx mental health statistics on MentalHealthAmerica.gov.
- Learn more about the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.