NNEDLearn 2014 Participant: Center for Holistic Development
Description: African American Youth Leadership Development Experience (AAYLDE) is a ten-week program based on the concept of “The Talented Tenth” by Dr. W.E.B. DuBois. A culturally focused program designed to: educate, improve critical thinking, and identify purpose. Important aspects of the program are — parental support, positive connections with adult role models and elders, and community service and social change projects.
Program objectives include:
- Help students gain an understanding of the Nguzo Nane
- Increase knowledge of and appreciation for African American culture
- Encourage critical awareness of myths and stereotypes presented by the media
- Develop creative thinking skills
- Develop leadership skills
- Strengthen personal goal setting
Population of focus: African American youth
Setting: Community center, parks and recreation
Level of focus: Individual, Community
Center for Holistic Development, Inc.
6502 Sorensen Parkway, Omaha, NE 68152