On August 28, 2018, the National Network to Eliminate Disparities in Behavioral Health (NNED) hosted a Virtual Roundtable to help NNED partners, especially smaller organizations, enhance their capacity to seek and secure funding. The virtual roundtable features panelists representing the funder perspective, as well as smaller and larger NNED partner organizations who have experience seeking funding.
Panelists discuss understanding community needs, partnering and relationship building, readiness, capacity building beyond the technical approach, and community-driven responses.
Population of focus: Community Organization, Agency’s CFO, Development Officer, Executive Director
Links to resources:
- View the recording of the Virtual Roundtable on the NNED’s Youtube channel
- Learn more about the Virtual Roundtable and panelists!
- Developing and Revisiting Your Funding Plan
- Developing a Fundraising Plan and Identifying Funding Sources from the University of Washington
- Major Components of a Fund Development Plan from Hilborn: Charity eNews
- Free to Fee: Help Your Nonprofit Partners Generate Earned Income blog post from Exponent Philanthropy
- 5 Steps to Create a Strong Annual Fund Development Plan blog post from LiveImpact.org
- Partnerships and Relationships
- Funding Partnership Work – William T. Grant Foundation’s Research-Practice Partnerships: Research–practice partnerships build agency capacity to connect research evidence to the decisions they make every day. The value of this work can be compelling to funders interested in research-informed approaches to improving youth outcomes.
- Effectively Stewarding Multi-Sector Partners for Health System Transformation: Jane Erickson from ReThink Health explains what they have learned about how multi-sector partnerships can effectively lead their work, build and enact comprehensive strategies, and develop approaches for sustainable financing.
- Reclaim Your Power in Funder Relationships article from panelist Dalya Massachi’s Writing to make a Difference (pdf)
- Americorps Vista can be a great partner to provide volunteers to organizations across the country – as referred to by panelist Dr. Renee Oglesby
- Grant Capacity
- Grantseeking Readiness Checklist from panelist Dalya Massachi’s Writing to make a Difference (pdf)
- Tracking the Field: Behavioral Health Funding infographic from Grantmakers In Health
- Organizational Advancement Resource Solutions (OARS): fundraising and marketing capacity resources from the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities
- Assessing Grant Readiness blog post from The Kester Group
- A Practical Handbook on Proposal and Report Writing from the African Women’s Development Fund (pdf)
- The Grant Funding Capacity Continuum: How Individuals Can Build Your Institution blog post from Hanover Research
- Finding Funding
- The NNED Funding Page is regularly updated with (government and foundation) funding opportunities focusing on health equity and health disparities. The NNED also has a List of Foundations Focused on Behavioral Health. Stay tuned for upcoming user improvements to the NNED funding page!
- GrantFinder from Inside Philanthropy
- Foundation Center
- Grants.gov houses federal funding announcements
- Simplifying the Funding Search Process archived webinar from youth.gov
- Stay Informed
Panelist contact information: